Sunday, March 3, 2024

bicycle

 


Trying to up my

style quotient 

as a nerdy but

impulsive teenager, 

I goaded my parents 

into buying me a 

noir-colored typical boys’

cycle for going to 

my science tuitions

rather than a sensible 

Cross-bar free, narrow 

- tyred feminine bicycle

in perhaps a powdery 

pink or purple.  

I didn’t realise then 

how painful each pedal’s

push would be 

and the sheer hard work 

I would have to do 

to ride this boys bike 

with thick tyres

and yet not let it 

be obvious to everyone. 


 

1 comment:

  1. Cycle is a symbol of independence and riding a "boy cycle" is akin to breaking the glass ceiling, may be unknowingly. More power to you. Looking forward to a deep dive into your thoughts and what a bicycle would signify to a school going girl to a not so well off working women.

    ReplyDelete