Saturday, August 14, 2021

The parameter of beauty

My parents named me "Kajal"

Perceiving the quintessence of beauty 

in my big dark eyes spread out 

on only a slightly lighter face. 

They told me about Krishna, 

the dark-cloud complexioned God 

who enchanted the world 

with his timeless beauty and 

child like spontaneity. 

They told me about Yajnaseni

the fire-born daughter of Drupad

whose face like the midnight sky  

mesmerised the entire Aryavrata.  

Why, then do I see only 

the lightest skinned actors play 

the heartthrob Krishna and 

the resplendent Draupadi in 

the mythological soaps on National TV? 

My mother taught me that the beauty 

doesn't come in certain colors 

and sizes alone and scoffed 

at my attempts to bleach 

my face with dozens of beauty products 

that flood our markets. 

My father admonished me 

when I would eat half a chapati 

everymeal to stay thin. 

They made me confident 

to live in my skin 

and asked me to work harder on 

career and strength 

of my character instead. 

Why then, do I have to go through 

this mindless ritual of scanning 

the matrimonial columns every Sunday 

that only seem to want fair, tall 

and slim girls for the perspective grooms?? 


-Neha Bansal 



5 comments:

  1. You are the voice of women from all corners of the world who were born with the earthy tones instead of various shades of white. India, Africa, Mexico, Uganda.... dusky women are all over the Globe... the obsession in India however is significantly higher or maybe I only know about it thats all. The predicament in the parting note brings out the fragility of human emotions very beautifully. Endless sessions of self counselling and innumerable doses of encouragement shot into our minds by our parents and yet the stubborn insecurities hold ground... like ‘angad ka paer’
    But as much as the poem touches a tender spot ... you in person epitomise confidence and boldness for me di! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks nitika... it's so true and thanks again for your infinite patience and warm comments always 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem. I really liked it, I remember you wrote one poem 'Black' that was also beautiful .

    Actually it is a big issue. I have heard many old women saying that looks of a man does not matter... We must see how successful he is. So if we ignore his looks and evaluate his worth on the basis of his success then why can't we do the same for a woman?

    So this discrimination on the Basis of looks should be stopped. Because
    the outer beauty does not remain same forever, it will fade with time, but the inner beauty of a person will always spread happiness among others around them.

    Chhavi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true .. I wonder when would people let go of this deep seated prejudice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete