Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Gendering : Defining roles in early childhood

It begins with the birth of the child 

as only floral and feminine 

pinks adorn the little fairy, 

symbolising the rosy but confined life 

of a beautiful home with picket fences,

the parents wish their little one. 

The heavenly blue on the other hand 

are strictly reserved for baby boys 

who are destined to cover the vast

expanses of the limitless skies 

the way eagles soar high unencumbered 

from the earthly trappings. 

The toys come next and we see 

dainty dolls with unattainable 

standards of anatomical perfection 

pouring in those pink nurseries 

as each birthday brings heaps of presents 

furthering the stereotype.

And the parents fondly see their little one 

coo with satisfaction as she makes

tea for her make-believe husband 

in the kitchen set as she plays House. 

But, it's the fast moving hotwheel cars, 

the noisiest action figurines and the 

biggest Nerf-guns along with Mechanix sets 

that are gifted only to her brother 

so that from early on, he learns  

that boys don't cry and 

what it takes to be a Man. 


-Neha Bansal





4 comments:

  1. Very true... I don't know why it has been going on since ages. We all do that unintentionally. May be because we are brought up that way.

    My daughter says mom I don't like pink colour much when my husband got something cute in pink... She asked for punching bag ��

    Chhavi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...we r unwittingly perpetuating the stereotypes...

      Delete
  2. 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
    I myself am not at all fond of pink... precisely because of this reason that it furthers a stereotype. I really wish I would be able to write like you one day. You put across social/gender struggles with such ease and finesse... it almost feels like saying ‘why can’t people just understand, itni simple si to baat hai’.
    Few words, huge message. Beautiful writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see my son who actually likes pink n red but God...he would never accept it...I keep telling him that let's buy some pretend play kitchen sets/doll house furniture...he just flatly refused....

    ReplyDelete