Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Raksha Bandhan

 As I tie this red mauli 

with silver peacock feather 

on your bony wrist,

I see you rummaging your kurta pocket 

for perhaps the Tissot watch 

you have spied on my Google searches. 

Or, perhaps it's the fat wad of currency notes 

that our mum has blackmailed you 

to put in Shagun envelope. 

But, no brother! it's not what I want 

as my this year's Rakhi present!!

I'd rather have equality

of opportunity to pursue my dreams 

like you are allowed to!

I'd rather want respect for my opinions 

and no more dismissal of my voice 

as naive at dinner table! 

I'd rather want a promise that 

you won't deem me a property 

to be protected till you hand me

over to my rightful owner!

I'd want you to be the wind 

beneath my wings and not the

jewel studded golden cage 

that would bind me for life!!


-Neha Bansal 






2 comments:

  1. I have the whole problem with this concept of raksha bandhan. Why should women want something from their brothers at all? Be it protection, some expensive gift or freedom to choose her way of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. However in traditional society like ours, seldom are women given this choice.

      Delete