Monday, September 27, 2021

Mirror

Removing the layers of make-up 

I wear to the sets of movies 

where I now play sometimes a sister 

and sometimes a teary eyed mother 

to the same male stars I have danced 

with around trees, under the water falls, 

gyrating my then thin waist 

to the beats of a typical Bollywood song 

but a few years ago

I see those half hidden dark spots 

and the unwieldly crow's feet that 

crinkle the side of my tired eyes 

that no longer twinkle as they used to. 


-Neha Bansal


(Published in "Mosaic of poetic musings : contemporary women poets from India" edited by Seema Jain and published by Authors press)




7 comments:

  1. So apt! I always wondered why the 50 year old actors still romance 18 year old girls on screen while their yesteryears' heroines play their mother.. What a chauvinist industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. That's precisely the point. Thank you for bringing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the reality of life where some things keep changing every time whereas some remain as it is...the 'mirror' reflects the poignant story of a beautiful life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. MIRROR is beautifully expressed.. Mirror always reflects truth..

    ReplyDelete